jueves, 20 de mayo de 2010

Definitions of Feminism

In today's LA times Opinion section Meghan Daum was talking about how Sarah Palin is calling herself a Feminist.

http://www.latimes.com/news/opinion/commentary/la-oe-0520-daum-fword-20100520,0,4933552.column

I have been a self-identified Feminist for years, lucky to have been raised by strong, opinionated, caring women who taught me to respect myself as a woman and see my special place in the world, but never that I was on a different playing field than men (be it above or below).

Over the years I have come to realize this is a unique way to grow up. I want to address first Palin calling herself a Feminist, and second, how individuals define feminism.

The Palin Issue. I admit it wouldn't be the first identifying marker I would place on her. I am assuming it's all politics to just get people talking about her (all press is good press). I am a believer in people being able to identify themselves how they see themselves. To give a polarizing example, gender identification. Those in the Trans community who consider their gender fluid, or who feel they were born into the body of a different sex than they feel to be, in my opinion, should be allowed to decide for themselves how they live in their own bodies.

With Palin the abortion argument obviously arises, as she is a staunch anti-abortionist, and I staunchly pro-choice. The reason I would choose not to exclude Palin from the group of people who identify themselves as Feminists is that I would be deciding for her how she feels, or what is right for her. I cannot do that. For the same reason I am pro-choice. Each person should be able to choose what they do with their body.

However, it is hypocritical for her to call herself Feminist and say she can define it for herself if she does not want other women to decide for THEMSELVES what they do with their bodies, ie the difficult decision of abortion.


DEFINING FEMINISM FOR OURSELVES

I pose the questions...

how do you define feminism in your own life?
How do you see Feminism in the world around you?
Do societal definitions and your own match or come into conflict?
How can we rectify them?


My definition has always been seeing, treating, and experiencing the genders equally. Of course there are innate qualities born to women and men, places our bodies and brains excel, but the idea of feminism is the idea that it does not make anyone better than anyone else, or more entitled

No hay comentarios: