martes, 16 de febrero de 2010

I'm and AUNTIE... o tia si preferias



life in LA isnt quite like normal... well except being at the beach in winter thats about as normal and pumpkin pie on thanksgiving :) and I love it.

so my big sis had her first baby. a boy. i'm the youngest so i have never raised a child. babysitting yes but, this is way more involved. i actually loved someone before they were born, is that even possible? yes. and i get up at night with her most of the week, and i love it. if i don't hold him in my arms for a few days there is something missing.

so the responsibility of teaching him spanish falls on me. that works. its actually kind of selfish. this way if i always speak to him (already going to be bilingual, this will make him trilingual... and american, almost unheard of here... totally typical in europe though... jealous much...yes.) then i will also always have someone in the family to speak spanish with and i will never forget the language. its a two way street. so thats my brilliant plan with my ridiculously adorable sobrino (nephew). ps not even kidding. beyond normal baby attractiveness.

2 comentarios:

Abyssinia dijo...

I don't know if I agree with you. I may be bitter from teaching English in France and Spain but I think more people are multilingual in the U.S. although I have no proof other than all of the languages my friends can speak.

Atrevida dijo...

There is a large immigrant population who are bilingual. However, my experience is that Americans who learn languages that they are not culturally tied to via family history, are fewer and far between or an elite group.