jueves, 19 de noviembre de 2009

Dear Henri... with an "i", I now realize I am not a blogger unless I blog


I got called out so hard tonight.

My path is a little unclear at the moment, I have my hands in a lot of different projects and ideas, one of which is getting a legit blog going, that I am proud of, to say the least.

It is hard to blog. It seemed so easy at first, just write anything.
But blogs are no longer just online journals. They have purpose and meaning, bring awareness. They motivate and inspire, they tell stories with pictures and words.

For any fashion blog followers, I went to The Sartorialist's book signing tonight right outside Barcelona. Scott has turned his blog, which is a street style photo blog, into a book, into a following,... basically living my dream he just did it first. (kudos)

Everyone was dressed straight out of Ugly Betty, more the Marc or Amanda than Hilda styles, ready to be photographed, wishing Scott would be taking photos of them, and excited to meet the man behind the camera. It is nights like tonight when I remember why I started taking film photography classes when I was in 9th grade.


This was also a networking event, these are people in and around fashion. I knew I should be working the floor, but with an amateur blog, no business cards and an unclear path to the future, how can I approach selling myself...

Enter Sara and Henri. Two people I met tonight, very kind, I would say interesting... but I now realize, I was the one talking the whole time and I barely took the time to ask them more about themselves. Is it not me looking for advice and direction with my career? They both were well into their careers.

They did everything right. Asked questions, follow ups, related to me, to where I am from, and I answered and talked (cause I do that when I am out of my element or nervous). I now realize

Shut up
listen
ask questions

talking about me taught me nothing tonight. I missed a great opportunity to find out more about people who are pursuing careers I am interested in. (If you are reading this, please get in touch with me before you go to NYC. And good luck with everything there)

LISTEN

ASK QUESTIONS

No hay comentarios: